Wednesday, 27 March 2013

China and some cafe sketches

 Hey hey!
I haven't posted in while, but that's mainly due to the fact that I went to China recently (and it was great fun!). Me and some friends from uni did some work for an animation studio called Glory and Dream in Nanjing. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post any of the character designs I did for their current project so I won't apart from one page of action sketches which won't be used (that's the last page of this post).
More China sketches shall be revealed on here soon, but I need a nice printer to scan all work in first!





Anyways.
For the past few months I've been trying to focus on cafe sketching and luckily a lot of my buddies decided to join in at different points so I managed to not slack off much and get some actual sketching done. Yay! I think it sums up to 4 or 5 drawing sessions so far, which is still something although I could have done a lot more. They're not the greatest but I really think I'm making some progress there and it reflects in my personal work as well, which really makes me happy! I've been trying to find my way around quick sketching and capturing action as it still feels like foreign ground to me but I think I'm starting to get used to it. All I want to do now is just continue to draw and draw and draw and draw everyday which I must admit is an amazing feeling.
 Last page is meant to explore a character's personality. I'm quite happy with the poses I came up with as I managed to make them somewhat dynamic so they're starting to tell a story... I've been shying away from the challenge before, so I'm now finally diving into it and it feels goooad! I've used some kung-fu references for the 3 drawings on the left but tried to break them up a little bit and bring some life to the actual poses, as the photographs were quite stiff and still as you can imagine (the drawing where she combs her hair is from my own imagination though).
I'm hoping to blog some more soon as I've got some more China trip drawings to share but there's so much work waiting for me now including pitch work (that's right working on a 3rd year pitch and the process is being a pain in the ass!) so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to spare for blogging. 

Please let me know what you think. Any piece of advice would be appreciated!
Thanks, 
Tones


1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff tones!! Can't wait to draw wid chu when we get back to Bourney :)) I need to start properly cafe sketching!! :O

    ReplyDelete